During the turbulent years of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, The Nation of Islam was at the forefront of economic and social reformation. At that time, the Nation of Islam’s Temple Number 26 B was located on the corner of 8th and Pine Street in West Oakland. During this time in 1974, the property that was to become Masjidul Waritheen, at Bond Street and 47th Avenue, was located first by Imam John Faqir (then, Minister John B. X).
After the passing of the leader of the Nation of Islam, the Hon. Elijah Muhammad, on February 25, 1975, and under the new leadership of Imam Warith Deen Mohammed (then, Chief Minister W.D. Muhammad) the new property was purchased. We moved into the Masjidul Waritheen property in November of 1975 and maintained ownership of the two parcel property, Masjidul Waritheen and the Elijah Muhammad Cultural Center, ever since.
The physical property of Masjidul Waritheen (masjid-school site) was sold in 2015. We operate Jumuah and all our services on the site of the Elijah Muhammad Cultural Center, directly across the street, while we transition into a new space.
Under the current 30+ years of leadership of Imam Faheem Shuaibe and throughout our 40+ year history we have been a stalwart in continuing the work of establishing Al-Islam in the Oakland/Bay Area community, America, and the world by spreading and practicing the life of the Qur’an, which is exemplified by our beloved Prophet Muhammad (whom revelation was sent over 1400 years ago) (may the prayers and the peace be upon him); and by also continuing to live the legacy of our late leader Imam Warith Deen Mohammed (may Allah mercy be on him) .